13 December 2012

Baked Brie with Cranberry Chutney

This past Saturday I was at a women's pampering event held at my mother-in-laws church and there was this really good brie cheese there! They had recipe hand outs that I could take so I of course had to grab one! I am a huge Brie cheese lover especially when it is warm with nuts and berries!! If I make this at home though it will be nut free, as our daughter has a peanut & tree nut allergy!

Ingredients:
2/3 c. water
2/3 c. sugar
1 1/3 c. cranberries
4 tsp. cider vinegar
1/3 c. dark raisins
1/4 c. chopped pecans
2 tsp. brown sugar
Scant 1/4 tsp. ginger
1/2 tsp. chopped garlic
2 1/4 lb. wheel of Brie cheese

1 loaf French bread cut in thin slices or party loaf pumpernickel bread- or crackers of choice

Directions:
To make chutney: In a heavy saucepan combine water and sugar. Stir and bring to a boil. Add cranberries, vinegar, nuts, sugar, ginger and garlic. Boil slowly, stirring until thick, 5-10 minutes. Cool and refrigerate. It will keep in refrigerator up to 1 week or it can be frozen.

To Serve:
Place Brie in an ovenproof shallow dish. Spread chutney over top of cheese. Bake at 350 degrees 5-10 minutes watching carefully so as not to melt brie, just to soften it. Serve with slices of bread or crackers.

This is NOT the picture from the recipe above, but it looks very similar, except this wheel of Brie looks smaller! 
Recipe from the kitchen of Cindy VanArtsdalen (family friend).

11 comments:

  1. You know, I've never tried chutney, but this recipe sounds delicious. Thanks for sharing; I'm putting the ingredients on my shopping list for this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds so good. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my gosh that looks and sounds fantastic! I love Brie cheese it is so versatile to use.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love baked brie! Always goes first, at holiday parties.

    ReplyDelete
  5. you really know how to make my mouth water! I love this twist on classic brie. We serve quite often to guests and I like this so much better. So easy to make too! Thank you and my guests will thank you too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This look like a nice and yummy appetizer to make!

    ReplyDelete
  7. this looks very delicious , not sure how that cheese taste, don't think i've had it before, if it has a strong taste probably not.. thanks for sharing the recipe. @tisonlyme143

    ReplyDelete
  8. We love Brie and this looks like a wonderful way to serve it with the cranberry chutney we can't wait to make this for our next get together.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love Brie, and to make this recipe with this delish chutney sounds amazing. I'm thinking I could adapt it by using a berry instead of cranberries - have to try!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This sounds simply AMAZING!! And so classy!! I can't wait to make this at my next girls night and we can drink wine and just indulge!!

    ReplyDelete