21 August 2014

Homemade Organic Tomato Soup | Easy Recipe


Growing up, my mom would make homemade tomato soup and I do not think I began to appreciate it until I was an older teenager. I personally loved Campbell's tomato soup and always wanted it with grilled cheese. As I have gotten older and have really explored trying out making new dishes and soups, I began making my own tomato soup. The following recipe is so simple and easy to make, trust me! It is loaded with flavor and in my opinion better than Campbell's tomato soup!


I used freshly picked organic tomatoes from my mother-in-laws' neighbor's garden. Aren't they just gorgeous (they are without the skins in this picture).

Ingredients:
5-6 medium-large ripe tomatoes
1 teaspoon baking soda
Milk (as much or as little as you want)
salt and pepper to taste

Directions:
Wash and cut the cores out of the tops of each tomato. Place in a pot of lightly boiled water for 7-10 minutes until you see the skins starting to separate. Take out each tomato and place on a plate to cool. Gently take off the skins of each tomato.
Place the tomatoes in an empty pot on medium and let them reduce. Simmer for 10-15. You can either puree the tomatoes for a creamy texture, or leave it chunky (I like to puree mine). Add the baking soda, seasonings and milk to taste. You can add as little or as much milk as you'd like. That's it! Enjoy!

 photo signature_zpskeadrffa.png




5 comments:

  1. My mom always made it chunky an I followed her tradition. I will have to purée it next time. It looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh this looks delicious!! Thanks for sharing a great and easy recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks quite easy! I have a zillion tomatoes from my garden so I will try this!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a good recipe, thank you for posting it, cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This sounds great, I love tomato soup.

    ReplyDelete