17 January 2016

Thank You God for Grandparents, They are So Special

Grandparents hold a special place in any grandchild's heart. I was blessed to have 4 wonderful grandparents growing up-- my family has always been close, and it helped that we all lived within 10 minutes of each other. My family saw my grandparents frequently growing up, and I loved it. I loved going over to their houses and spending time with them, making memories and also hearing stories of their childhood and family from when they were little. I think I asked to sleep over at their houses on the weekends quite often, and would be the happiest when they said yes and included me in their weekend plans. Whether it was to go grocery shopping, do Saturday cleanings of the house or even to go out to dinner or go play bingo, I loved sleeping over at my grandparents houses.

I find myself telling my husband and children stories and memories I have of my grandparents all the time. I honestly could talk hours about them each-- they each have made an impact on my life and have helped shape me into the woman I am today. For that, I am grateful that I had and still have grandparents who want to be in and apart of my life-- I know that's the not the case for every grandchild out there.

It saddens me that I only have two grandparents left here on Earth. I know I will one day meet up with the other two that have already passed in Heaven, and what a joyous day that will be. It's hard losing a grandparent, especially when you had a unique and close bond with them. I can't image how hard it was for each of my parents losing a parent, even though I witnessed how hard it was for them. I know how much it hurt my heart and I can only image the day I lose one of my parents or in-laws (ahhh I don't want that to ever happen). I wish my kids could have spent more time with each of my grandparents who passed. I fear that my oldest won't remember either of them in time, which again saddens me. Maybe that's why I talk about my grandparents and memories I have of them often with my kids, especially my oldest.

Family has always been very important to me. Now that I am an adult and live over an hour away from my grandparents, it's harder to see them as often as I would like to. I try to keep tabs (haha) on them by asking my parents how they're doing and thank goodness for modern technology of Facebook and phones. I'm so blessed to have grandparents (and other extended family) who were active in and a huge part of my life from the time I was born until now. Like I said before, I know that's not the case for everyone, so I feel all the more blessed to have a close knit family. It's important for me to incorporate that importance and value to my kids and their lives. They can't get enough of their 5 grandparents and even their great-grandparents, and that just warms my heart!

I thank God for grandparents, for lots of reasons, but most of all for the love that they provide their grandchildren, that can only come for a grandparent.








1 comment:

  1. I know that special bond between a grandparent and grandchild as I have experienced it from both sides. My maternal grandmother was very close to me and was the first to show me the importance to having a relationship with God. I only pray that I am as good a grandmother to my grandchildren as my own mother and grandmother.
    I know that your grandparents were and still are blessed to have you as a granddaughter.

    ReplyDelete