15 August 2016

Classic Macaroni Salad | Recipe


Have you been enjoying your summer? I can't believe that it's nearly coming to an end and that school will be starting in two weeks for us! 

Over the summertime we like to attend cookouts (or some of you may call them barbecue's), I mean, who doesn't!? When attending a cookout, family reunion or another fun summer event with food, I like to eat macaroni salad. Now, my husband is weird with cold salads-- he will only eat them if there is no veggies (besides carrot and celery) and fruit in them. I don't think he likes the texture of them with being mixed in with cold noodles. 

I personally LOVE Amish macaroni salad, with bell peppers and that creamy overall style. My grandma has a really yummy and easy recipe of macaroni salad that is so good and always a hit! It doesn't have bell peppers, so even my husband loves it (because I do not add the onion).


**The following recipe is made with 1 pound of noodles. The pictures featured in this post are only showing half of this recipe. I think cutting this recipe in half is perfect for a smaller gathering, feeding up to 15 people.

Ingredients:
1 pound elbow macaroni noodles (cooked according to package instructions, drained)
8 hard boiled eggs
3 medium sized carrots (peeled and finely diced)
1 medium onion, minced (optional)
3 stalks celery, finely chopped

Dressing:
2 1/2 cups Miracle Whip (you're going to get a different flavor if you use mayonnaise)
1 cup sugar
1/3 cup yellow mustard
3/4 cup milk
2 tablespoons of white vinegar

Directions:
Cook macaroni noodles according to the package instructions, drain and rinse with cold water. Place noodles in a medium-large sized mixing bowl. Chop up your hard boiled eggs into small pieces, and chop up your carrots, onion and celery. I like to use my blender and pulse blend the carrots and celery to get a small fine chop (I would do this with the onion as well. If you like bigger pieces, you can always cut them to the size you prefer). Add your eggs, carrot, celery and onion to the bowl of noodles. In a separate mixing bowl, mix all of your "dressing" ingredients together, blend well. Once well blended, add your dressing to the noodle-veggie mixture. Fold in with a spoon and mix well. Refrigerate right away. 

As the macaroni salad sits in the fridge, it will become more thick/dry. You can always add in a little more Miracle Whip a tablespoon at at time if you would like, but I never had do this because we always end up eating it within a few days. I know not everyone likes black ground pepper, so I personally only add salt and pepper to my personal portion instead of adding it to the whole dish-- that's up to you!


So simple and delicious! Enjoy!


 photo signature_zpskeadrffa.png



No comments:

Post a Comment