21 September 2012

Loves his Peas & Green Beans!

 
So as I posted before, my little boy loves his cereal, and now peas & green beans!! With our daughter I started her out on Cereal and then bananas which was a HUGE mistake! She hate veggies for such a long time, even carrots!! So this time with my son and I decided veggies were the first to eat and hopefully even after introducing fruits he will still like his veggies. I don't know when I'll introduce fruit yet, but do want to start making his baby food now that I know the consistency of what Stage 1 is.
 
Does anyone know what's going on with Rice?! Arsenic in rice.....sooo should babies not eat rice cereal right now? Or maybe limit it to once or twice a week? I think I need to make a phone call to my son's doctor. Not sure if having him eat another grain is better for now? Maybe I can see about introducing oatmeal? Although that may be to early for a 4 month old. What are you other mom's doing about rice cereal?

11 comments:

  1. I didn't know that arsenic was in rice.....now I don't even want to eat it myself, let alone my kids. julieann r

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not really sure what is going on with the rice thing, but you just reminded me to do some investigating! I would call your pedi and ask.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yikes! I heard about this on the news but do not know the precautions? It is so scary anymore! We did oatmeal :)Good luck!
    Loressa
    lifescuriouswisdom.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would do some research on brands. I know when I looked at the research they said there were higher levels in some than others. It's actually a mineral that is in the soil, so it has likely been in the production of rice products in some countries. Your pediatrician likely won't know much about it yet so look at some scientific sites journals :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. You need to post a link or some information on that Arsenic in Rice, was it just in baby cereal?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Arsenic in any rice products. Sounds like a scare scheme to me! But better to look into just incase.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Rice cereal is really no good. Rice cereal is a highly refined product with no nutritional value in itself. The number one ingredient in rice cereal is processed white rice flour - YUK. Hello cancer, diabetes and heart disease later in life :( This is also probably why older kids and adults prefer to eat white breads and highy processed foods... they start off young. Stick to whole grain baby cereal and real foods. Much better for our little ones. Now I feel like writing a post, haha.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I had never heard that about rice... My daughter's first food was homemade sweet potato baby food and then homemade squash and she loved both so we stuck with veggies for a long time. Now at 2 her favorite food is broccoli!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's great that he's eating his veggies! As for the rice, I haven't heard about the arsenic...that's bad!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I actually never fed my son rice cereal. There's a lot of research that actually links rice cereal to the obesity and othe health epidemics. It's low of nutritional value. Oatmeal, barley, quinoa are all great alternatives.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks everyone for your comments! I'm done with rice cereal and am going to start him on Single Grain Oatmeal. Excited to introduce more veggies to him this coming week! :)

    ReplyDelete