21 September 2012

Whole Chicken in Crock Pot~ Falls Off The Bone!!

This way of cooking a chicken is perfect for when you want a whole chicken, but don't want the oven on for a couple hours (in the summer when it's hot) and when you want chicken falling off the bone!

Now, my whole chicken was 4 1/2 pounds. I took out the neck and insides and saved those for my gravy. I cut up a whole onion and placed them on the bottom of the crock pot. Next I put my whole chicken in the crock pot with NO WATER. This may seem weird at first, but your chicken already has retained water and you will still get plenty of broth. I added minced garlic, salt, pepper, and paprika. You can add whatever spices/herbs you want.  Here's my chicken...


I had my crock pot timer on for 4 hours, but it ended up only really needing 3 1/2 hours on HIGH. I have read that other people put their crock pot on high for a 3-4 pound chicken and it need 4-5 hours, so I was expecting for my chicken to take longer. I guess my crock pot is strong? You could also put the settings to low and  and cook for around 7-8 hours I'd imagine. Perfect for working moms/wives to turn on right before they leave in the morning for work and then it will be done when you get home. For the first time doing this I would recommend keep a close eye on it after a bit to see how long it actually takes for your own crock pot.

This chicken literally falls off the bone!! It's super moist and perfect to eat just is, or to add to soups or whatever you want! The only thing, is if you like to eat the skin, it is going to be a little rubbery, so you would want to peel off the skin and put it under your broiler in your oven for a little bit for that crunchy texture! Enjoy!


No comments: