14 October 2014

Apple Dumplings with a Sweet Brown Sugar Sauce


It's that time of year again where Fall foods are being made in our home. When I think about my favorite Fall dessert, it's a toss between apple dumplings and pumpkin roll. Today my daughter and I made apple dumplings, and since I love my readers so much I thought I'd share this awesome family recipe with you all! It's the best apple dumpling recipe ever, and it even has a special sauce that was my late grandma's recipe and it's super yummy!

First step is to make the sauce...

Ingredients:
1 cup brown sugar
1 /2 cup water
1/4 tsp cinnamon
(for later-- 2 Tbl butter)

Directions:
Put brown sugar, water and cinnamon in a sauce pan and bring to a boil. Turn down and simmer 5 minutes stirring occasionally. Remove and add 2 tablespoons of butter.


For the apple dumplings...

Ingredients: 
4 McIntosh apples
dash of cinnamon
dash of sugar

Dough:
1 1/2 cups flour
1/2 cup shortening
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 cup water

Directions:
Mix dough, then roll it out. Take a butter knife and evenly cut two lines (an X) into the dough to make 4 sections. Peel all 4 apples and de-core them (I cut them in half then de-core them). Place one apple in the middle of each dough section. Add a dash of sugar and cinnamon on each apple. Take the sides of one section and roll up the dough onto the apple-- do this for all four apples. Tightly close the dough making sure no apple is exposed and that there are no holes. Place all 4 apple dumplings in a baking pan, then add your brown sugar sauce, pouring them on top of apples. Bake at 350 degrees for 30-45 minutes until golden brown. 


Here is what they should like before they go into the oven...



Since I was a little kid I have been enjoying this recipe of apple dumplings and I believe you will love it too! I like to eat mine in a bowl (warm) with some cold milk splashed on it.

Enjoy!

 photo signature_zpskeadrffa.png



20 comments:

  1. OMG, these looks so yummy and they are super easy to make!! My family is gonna love me for these! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks soooo good! Thanks for sharing. I'm thinking Thanksgiving!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You've inspired me. I must do something with Dumplings tonight!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. These sound so good. Thank you for sharing and Happy Holidays.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Need to make these with all my apples! Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  6. These apple dumplings look delicious. I have never eaten apple dumplings before, I can't wait to give these a try. Thank you for sharing this recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh wow these look great! I loooove apples!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I definitely have to try these dumplings! I know my husband would absolutely love them!

    ReplyDelete
  9. i love apple dumplings! these look & sound delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  10. WOW! We just made apple dumplings the other week! We leave our apples whole and one we place the apples onto the rolled out dough, we pack brown sugar in the hole along with a Tsp. of butter! We then roll them up tight to keep all the gooey good stuff locked in with the apple! We don't make a mix to put on top of the dumplings like you do, we just put it all in with the apple! It generates it's own sugary mixture inside the dough! They are so Yummy! I like mine warm with Vanilla Ice Cream on it and my hubby likes to eat them in a bowl of milk! Thanks for sharing your terrific Recipe with all of us! Thanks again! Michele :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Omg, these sound so amazing! Can't wait to give them a try!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This Apple Dumpling with Brown Sugar Sauce looks amazing! I love baked apples and this combination sounds delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  13. These looks so good and the recipe seems easy enough for me! I can't wait for cooler weather to give it a try!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I don't use shortening. Can something else be substituted for it?

    ReplyDelete
  15. This sounds like a terrific recipe. I can't wait to try it out.

    ReplyDelete
  16. These look amazing. My boyfriend is going to love them.

    ReplyDelete
  17. These look so yummy. Can't wait to try. The kids will love them.

    ReplyDelete