07 October 2014

Homemade Chicken & Dumplings #Recipe


I just love chicken & dumplings! The key to a good chicken & dumpling meal is the creamy mixture and dumplings. I got this awesome recipe from a family friend of my mom's and it is the best recipe I have found! Not the healthiest....this meal is about comfort and its yummy goodness! It's an easy meal to make and feeds a family of 4. If you have more than 4 members in your family I would add more chicken and an extra 1/2 of the dumpling mix--make sure you're using a big cooking pan!

Ingredients:
4 Tbsp. Shortening
4 Tbsp. Flour
1 Cup Chicken Broth
2 Cups Diced Cooked Chicken
1 Cup Milk
1/2 tsp Salt
1/4 tsp Garlic Powder
2 tsp. Chopped Onions

Directions:
Melt shortening in a large cooking pan on stove: blend in flour, garlic powder and salt. Add milk and chicken stock. Cook over low heat until smooth and thick. Stir in onions and chicken; blend well. *An easy way to cook chicken is to cube it raw, then add your chicken to boiling water. Boil until no longer pink.

Dumplings:
1 Cup Flour
1/4 tsp. Salt
1/2 Cup Milk
1 1/2 tsp Baking Powder
2 Tbsp. Melted Shortening

Directions: 
Mix ingredients with shortening and milk; blend to moisten. Drop by teaspoon onto chicken; cover. Cook 15-20 minutes over low-medium heat.


I like to always serve this meal with a side of veggies, any vegetable really! You're gonna love the fluffiness of the dumplings, they're not doughy at all! Just and salt and pepper to taste! Enjoy!

 photo signature_zpskeadrffa.png




12 comments:

  1. Yum! This would be great to have when it gets cooler!

    ReplyDelete
  2. this looks sooooooooooooo delish.. i wanna make it!!! yummmmmmmmm

    ReplyDelete
  3. Shortening is not something we use in our house. We have a chicken and dumpling recipe for the crockpot that doesn't use any shortening.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't use shortening that often, only for a few recipes. I'm sure you could substitute with butter!

      Delete
  4. Christina Strapp LambertOctober 13, 2014 at 7:48 PM

    This looks so good. I have never made these so I will have to try this recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks AMAZING!!! I am so glad you posted this because I am definitely gonna make it now. Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love chicken n' dumplings and only get them when we go to a Cracker Barrel Restaurant. Now I can have them anytime! I even pinned it so I know exactly where to go when I'm ready to make them. Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, Cracker Barrel does have chicken and dumplings that is good! You're welcome, enjoy!

      Delete
  7. I have not had chicken and dumplings in a long time. This looks so good. Thank you for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yummy! It has been a long time since I had chicken and dumplings. I don't know why. I used to make them quite often. Winter is good for making it. Won't be long.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I used to loved this when I was little. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This sounds great, thank you for sharing with us and have a lovely day!

    ReplyDelete