08 November 2014

Halupkies {Stuffed Cabbage Rolls} | #Recipe


Have you ever heard of halupkies? I didn't grow up with this dish, but thankfully my mother-in-law introduced them to me! They are so yummy and one of my husband's favorite foods, and now one of mine as well! This meal is easy on the budget, will feed your whole family and they will be sure to love it! I think kids who are picky eaters will love it...and yes, even the cabbage too!

The following ingredients will make about 9 halupkies about the size of your fist. You can always double the batch and freeze them!

Ingredients:
Any ground meat- 1 pound (If doubling I recommend 1 pound of beef and 1 pound of turkey, mixed)
1 cup of uncooked rice
1 head of cabbage
Veggie Juice
Spices to taste: salt, pepper, paprika, thyme, onion powder & garlic

Directions: Mix your meat, rice, 1/4 cup veggie juice, spices and garlic in a bowl. Ball up meat mixture (the size of large meatballs), put in center of cabbage, roll up tightly and pile up in a large sauce pan- keep on low-medium. Pour the rest of the veggie juice all over the halupkies. Simmer in pan for about an hour keeping an eye on the bottom halupkies making sure they do not burn.

 photo signature_zpskeadrffa.png




15 comments:

  1. We love cabbage here and this is such a nice and easy recipe. I'll have to try it for myself and my husband. I'm sure he will love it too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My gram always made these. These are one of my favorite meals to make. However, we call them Pigs in a Blanket. I love how there are so many different names for dishes we make. If I am out of rice, I will use Italian bread crumbs and leave out the seasonings.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i've had cabbage rolls before and they are delicious. I have been inspired by you to make them myself. Wish me luck!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love stuffed cabbage rolls. They are so simple and versatile.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I Love Cabbage But Don't Make Since I'm Th Only One That Likes It. This Sounds Really Delicious Tho

    ReplyDelete
  6. These sound so fabulous!! I used t eat these as a kid all the time (I know crazy right?). Im saving this recipe to make soon!! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. These sound great and I could make them with Boca. Thank you for sharing...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for sharing this. I look at hundreds of blogs and you are the first one to have a recipe for this. My mother use to make them.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love stuffed cabbage rolls and thank you for sharing with us.

    ReplyDelete
  10. My wife has made these a number of times. Didn't know they were called halupkies though. Have you ever tried runzas or a runza casserole?

    ReplyDelete
  11. These look and sound delicious. I've always wanted to try making them and this seems easy enough even I could do it! Thanks for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am so floored by you! You are so young, yet you cook almost like I do! I have a recipe that has been passed down through my family for the Halupkies! I make mine similar to yours. I make a whole huge potful when I make these so that I can freeze enough for another dinner or so! I judge the size of my meat with the rice and all by the size of the cabbage. Some will be big and some will be small! The small ones go on top! I use Tomato Soup and Tomato Sauce in mine and I also boil the cabbage so it's soft enough to stuff into the meat after being rolled up. My husband will eat until he is so stuffed! It's funny, but he never liked cabbage until I made these and he tried them! He asks for them an awful lot! I cook mine pretty much all day on a lower setting and the top ones get browned a bit and so does the extra cabbage I lay on top! My husband says he loves it this way because it tastes like candy! LOL Oh, have you tried Halushki yet? (I come from a Polish background so I know some of the best Polish dishes) Halushki is cabbage and noodles with lots of butter and salt, pepper and garlic powder & celery salt. You cut the cabbage up and in a large fryer pan you fry up the cabbage in butter until it's nice and soft! Then you'll make your No Yolks Noodles like normal. Drain them when they are done and put them in with the cabbage. Add your spices and let simmer for a while so all the flavors go together! I really love it! Anyway! Thanks so much for sharing your delicious receipe on Halupkies {Stuffed Cabbage Rolls} | #Recipe with all of us! I really enjoy reading your recipes! Thanks so much! Michele :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I never thought to use veggie juice! What a great idea. I'll have to try this recipe, thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Initially, I think my kids would turn up their noses. However, once they tried a bite...they would change their minds!

    ReplyDelete