29 November 2014

Perfect Apple Pie with a Buttery Crumb Topping #Recipe


It's that time of year where I feel like I am baking all the time, making pies, cookies, pumpkin rolls, and cakes left and right! I recently made my most requested pie for Thanksgiving, which happens to be apple crumb pie and I thought I'd share this family favorite recipe with my lovely readers!

Ingredients for dough:
1/2 Cup Flour
1/2 Cup Shortening
1/2 tsp Salt
1/4 Cup Ice Cold Water (or more)

Directions:
Mix flour, shortening and salt. Gradually add water- fold with hand no more than 8 times. Wrap dough ball in plastic, refrigerate for a 1/2 hour. Makes 1 bottom pie crust-- double for 2 bottoms. 

Ingredients for filling:
5-6 McIntosh apples
1/2 Cup Sugar
2 Tbl Flour
1 tsp Cinnamon
1/2 dash Salt & Nutmeg (very little)


Directions:
Peel apples, core them and slice them thinly. Mix all the filling ingredients with the apples. Roll out your refrigerated dough. Make sure you flour your work station (counter/table) and rolling pin. Place your dough in your pie baking glassware and trim ends. Place your apples in your pie shell.

Ingredients for crumbs:
1/2 Cup Sugar
3/4 Cup Flour
1/3 Cup Butter (stick-room temperature!)
**Makes enough for 2 pies

Directions:
Fork all of the crumb ingredients together and sprinkle on top of pie. Bake your pie at 350 degrees for 50 minutes. **I wrap the edges of my pie crust with tin foil and remove the last 5 minutes so it's golden brown and not too dark/crispy.


That's it! You will have a delicious and most favored homemade apple pie! Enjoy!



18 comments:

  1. I can't believe how simple this pie looks to make. I love crumb crust pies and can't wait to try it out on my family. Thanks for such a great recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks so yummy and so easy! I might have to make it for my mom sometime. She would love this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pardon me while I wipe the drool off my keyboard! Yummy. Thanks.

    slehan at juno dot com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Apple pie is my favorite pie of all. The crumb topping looks delicious too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. And here I was excited with a Marie Callender Pie that is dutch apple. You need to go into the business, this looks delicious

    ReplyDelete
  6. Omgosh this sounds absolutely heavenly! Love crumb topping!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This looks amazing. Thank you for sharing your recipe with us.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I tried ir & it was delicious! Thank you !

    ReplyDelete
  9. Christina Strapp LambertDecember 18, 2014 at 10:32 PM

    Wow, this looks very good. I am pinning this so I can give this a try.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love apple pie and this looks delicious.I am def going to make this!

    ReplyDelete
  11. That looks amazing!! I have never had one with the crumb topping. I have to try it

    ReplyDelete
  12. looks really good. i am making this.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks so much for the recipe Perfect Apple Pie with a Buttery Crumb Topping! LOL This is exactly how I make my Apple Pies! I have so many apples in my fridge right now that I'm debating on making a pie or apple dumplings! I'm making a Strawberry Pie tomorrow for Easter Sunday Dessert and while I'm at it, I was thinking of making an apple pie as well! I haven't quite decided! Thanks for sharing your Perfect Apple Pie Recipe with all of us! I make it just like you do, crumbs and all! Thanks again! Michele :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I made an apple pie today - just like yours! I also made a Strawberry Pie! I'd post you a Picture of the Strawberry Pie, however, there's no where to post it to! I also cut up the rest of the strawberries that I had and put them in a container. I made what we call "a strawberry cake"! It's a plain cake, not sweet at all and you are supposed to put a piece of the cake in a bowl, pour some strawberries on it, add some milk and top with whipped topping! YUMMY!! I was busy in the kitchen today! Kids went to a friend's house so I baked all by myself this time! My Apple Pie turned out really well too! I still have so many apples in my fridge! The oven will be busy tomorrow with a ham in it, plus whatever else I make with it! Thanks for posting so many terrific recipes and sharing them with all of us! OH, YES, and Tonight we had the Stuffed Shells with ground meat for dinner! They were delicious!!!! Thanks for that recipe as well! Thanks Again and I hope you and your family have a Happy Easter!!! Michele :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I don't like apple pie but my family loves it and this looks really good so I'm going to try this one out for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Apple Pie is an all American favorite. This looks like a great recipe!

    ReplyDelete