05 January 2015

7 Tips to Potty Training Toddlers


The following tips are ones I personally came up with, through my experience. I am currently potty training my 2 1/2 year old son and I think it's safe to say we are 85% there! I do want to say, I do not believe in forcing a child to learn how to potty train. You definitely have to wait until they are ready-- some kids are earlier than others, some are later than others. Our daughter was fully potty trained at 22 months, so at first I was frustrated about our son not being ready at almost 2 1/2 a couple months backs. Truth is, our son is not as mature as our daughter was at his age...all kids are different!

  1. Buy panties/man-panties together-- Take your toddler to the store and let them pick out their favorite pack of panties. Make a big deal about it and say how big they are getting! Then tell them all about the adventure they are about to have learning how to use the potty.

  2. Consistency is key-- Ask your toddler every 30 minutes if they have to pee and go potty

  3. Praise is crucial-- Having happy dances and giving high fives are super fun with your toddler and it shows them how excited and proud you are of them. 

  4. Give them incentive-- Rewards are fun! An M&M or Jelly Bean is personally okay with me, but you don't always have to give sugar to your child (especially each time they successfully go potty). You and your toddler can make your very own homemade potty chart, which they can put stickers on each time they go potty. My kids LOVE stickers. 

  5. Sometimes privacy is needed-- My son loves to say "I need pry-ha-see". So I will either turn my back, or step a few feet away, and he will go! 

  6. Let your toddler choose if they want to use a small potty chair or the toilet with a seat adapter. All kids are different, and some might want to use the toilet right away and skip using a potty chair.

  7. Parents have got to have patience-- There may be times your child needs to sit a few minutes on the potty before they actually pee. Give them time and be patient, as they are learning how to control their body.

Best of luck to you and your toddler on your toddler's potty training adventure! Don't stress if it takes longer than what you expected or wanted. 



37 comments:

  1. Oh, boy, can I just sat: Thank goodness I'm not having to do this, lol! I don't think I could get through it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the tips - I have a daughter with Williams syndrome and she is 8 and still in pullups which is pretty normal for her syndrome. So any suggestions or tips are awesome to help me out! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Patience is so important when you're potty training. I agree.

    ReplyDelete
  4. ive got 2 grandsons who are going to be starting soon,,the granddaughter was so easy to potty train,,going to pass on these tips for my kids to use

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love that you added that they are all ready at different times! I feel like so many moms make it a competition! Santa did get my soon to be 2 year old a potty chair ;) so Im just patiently waiting and getting him used to hanging out on it at the moment!

    ReplyDelete
  6. We aren't at this stage yet but I am all for being educated and beginning preparation early. Thanks for the tips!

    ReplyDelete
  7. My son just turned 3 and we are still having trouble getting him to go #2. How do you get them past that fear? He has been going #1 for well over a year on the potty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Matt, I have heard that kids having fear of going #2 on the potty could be because they feel that a part of them is being flushed away and there is a little separation anxiety, because they do not understand that poop is not really a body part. I would reassure him that he's going to be okay and that this is what everybody does, everyday. Also, try using rewards and a reward chart to work his way to buying or doing something special. Hope this helps!

      Delete
  8. These are great tips! We are in the midst of potty training, so I need to practice a few of these.

    ReplyDelete
  9. So happy potty training is over! I have two girls and it was fairy easy I always feared having to do this with a boy!

    ReplyDelete
  10. thank you you for the tips. These really do come in handy.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you so much for the tips. Was just wondering if anyone else had a child 3 that still is having urine accidents. What do you suggest?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I asked my fans on Facebook for some advice for you! Hope you will receive some good advice and encouragement: https://www.facebook.com/HousewifeOnAMission/posts/785485668166025

      Delete
    2. Sorry, this is the correct link: https://www.facebook.com/HousewifeOnAMission/posts/785486334832625

      Delete
  12. I don't have children so I have never had to do this. Talk puppies and that's another story. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  13. The stairs!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great tips! Pinned for later :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks for the share, potty training twins - boy/girl and tearing my hair out.

    ReplyDelete
  16. These are great tips, when it's time to potty train, parents need to remember not to rush the child, they need to allow the child to set the pace. Thank you for sharing this post.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I am a preschool teacher of under 2 year olds and currently have 8 who are in the process of training (2 we have had complete success with.) Your tips are exactly what we tell the parents. One thing that works for us is "peer pressure." Everyone wants to have a turn in the potty!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great tips. I love how you advise people to get their children to take some responsibility in making choices like picking out undies, what kind of potty chair they have, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I don't have any little ones but these are some great tips.Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  20. great tips when i trained my kids i used a potty video

    ReplyDelete
  21. Both of my kids potty trained pretty easy. I have a 18 month grandson that they are slowly introducing him to the potty chair. Right now he is not interested so they are going when he is ready.

    ReplyDelete
  22. awesome advice! I feel like I used these with 2 of my 3 girls. My second girl was all gung ho on using the potty like her big sis! That was the easiest one to train lol!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I taught my first child it was so hard to teach him hopefully this time around with my little girl it will be better.

    ReplyDelete
  24. These are some great tips. Potty training can sometimes be difficult. Thank you for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  25. I agree, I had 7 children and every one of them was trained at different ages and yes girls are easier to potty train then boys, seemed like when you try forcing them to do it before their ready never works out.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Great tips! Thanks for sharing at Freedom Fridays - pinned and sharing on Facebook! :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. These are truly wonderful tips and ideas. I really like the chart and sticker idea! When my son was being potty trained, I was fortunate that he went to pre-school two days a week and they helped to train him too. They would take all of the two year olds to the bathroom in a line and, if they needed to go, they did. My grandson is being trained now so I will definitely talk about these tips with my son and daughter in-law. Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Good tips. Where were they 40 years ago when I needed them?

    slehan at juno dot com

    ReplyDelete
  29. Great tips i've passed them on to my Daughter who is in the process of potty raining her little Boy. she did great with the 2 Girls. the other day she caught a pic and sent me of Daddy actually taking the time to potty train him. what an Awesome hubby she has and a wonderful Daddy! Thank for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Great tips. I am having a new grand baby and will need them soon.

    ReplyDelete
  31. I love all these tips and ideas you have here, I have a daughter who will be going through this process with her little girl, so I will share this on my facebook so she and others can read :)

    ReplyDelete