03 January 2015

WOWButter Cookies with Hershey Kisses | Recipe #PeanutFree


The cookie most commonly known as "Peanut Butter Blossoms" have always been one of my favorite cookies. Since having my daughter who has a severe peanut allergy, I have not made these cookies in years (about 5 years). This past year I came across the amazing (in my opinion) soy butter called WOWButter and now substitute peanut butter with WOWButter in my grandmother's recipe and they are soooo good! Honestly, people who love peanut butter and didn't realize soy butter was used instead of peanut butter, can't tell the difference. Now my whole family can enjoy this long-time loved cookie and it's safe for our daughter!

Ingredients:
1 3/4 Cups Flour
1/2 Cup Sugar
1/2 Cup Brown Sugar
1/2 Cup Shortening
1 tsp. Salt
1 tsp. Baking Soda
1 tsp Vanilla
1 Egg
1/2 Cup WOWButter (or peanut butter for non peanut allergies)
Bag of Hershey milk chocolate kisses

Directions:
Mix all the ingredients (except Hershey kisses) in a large mixing bowl. Unwrap 30 Hershey kisses and put aside. In a small separate bowl, add 1/4 cup of sugar. Roll cookie mix into walnut-sized balls, then roll them in the sugar, coating them. Place on a cookie sheet. Bake at 375 degrees for 8 minutes. Take your tray out of the oven and quickly place a Hershey kiss in the center of each cookie, pushing down gently so the edges crack slightly. Return your tray to the oven and bake for another 2-5 minutes longer. I personally leave them in for only 2 1/2 minutes. Let the cookies cool on a baking rack. That's it!
Enjoy!

 photo signature_zpskeadrffa.png




38 comments:

  1. These sound delicious! Will try them soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is so wonderful when we can find substitutions for our families when they have food allergies. These cookies are almost a "rite of passage" and I'm glad you all found a way to enjoy them. I've never tried any of the soy butter but have tried the almond butters.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't tried wow butter yet, but I've heard good things. This looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have a nephew who can't eat peanuts, so I need to try WowButter. These cookies sound really good.

    ReplyDelete
  5. These look so good. I am headed to the grocery store today to get the ingredients to make some for my family:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. that looks so yummy as easy to make,,my grandkids would love these

    ReplyDelete
  7. The cookies look delicious and so easy to make. Thanks for reminding me about WowButter, my bro n law has a peanut sensitivity and he'd love these!
    Thanks too for the recipe

    Sharon

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh man, I remember my mom making these cookies and they are my favorite! I have a friend whose daughter has a peanut allergy and I'll have to pass this onto her!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love thumbprint cookies! These are my fave!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a great idea--I hadn't thought of using other forms of nut/ seed butter. Bet they are delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I made something similar for Christmas this year. They're pretty good.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love these and how cool to make them nut free, thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  13. So easy to do and looks delicious. I'll probably be making some for movie night on Friday. Thanks for sharing this with us.

    ReplyDelete
  14. These cookies are a classic "Christmas" cookie at our house as they were in my childhood. I would love to try this.

    ReplyDelete
  15. These look simple but delicious. I will have to give them a try!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Yum, peanut butter cookies with chocolate kisses, I can't wait to give this a try. Thank you for sharing this recipe

    ReplyDelete
  17. I make these cookies often & they are so good!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I cannot wait to try this nut-free version to compare to the one with nuts! Recipes like this make those with nut allergies not have to miss out on the good stuff! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  19. This is a delicious alternative to the nut version and I shall try it soon.

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a great idea! My family does not have food allergies but we do have friends that do. This would be a great recipe to keep on hand for when they visit. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  21. wow i love the recipe. its a great one i can make for my kids. they absolutly love peanuts and cookies. what a great combination it is. its easy and quick to make.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! These are a big hit and love that I can make them for people with allergies.. and they taste great too!!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. These are my ABSOLUTE FAVORITE holiday cookie! and now I can share them with my friends and their children with allergies!! So exciting! Thanks for the great recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I have pinned these on pintrest definitely going to try...ty

    ReplyDelete
  25. I've never heard of wowbutter before. This recipe sounds good. I'll have to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Wow, they look so delicious. I must try this recipe. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  27. delecious made over xmas

    ReplyDelete
  28. these are my favorite cookies thanks for sharing the recipe yuuummm

    ReplyDelete
  29. These cookie would be such a hit at my house we love Hersheys kisses will have to give them a try thanks for the recipe

    ReplyDelete
  30. These are my adult son's favorite cookies! His grandmother always made them for him.

    ReplyDelete
  31. These cookies are so good. Thank you for sharing this great recipe

    ReplyDelete
  32. It's good that they've come out with a good peanut butter substitute.

    slehan at juno dot com

    ReplyDelete
  33. I have never made cookies like this! I want to try making these because they sure look delicious and peanut free. I wonder what the WOW Butter tastes like. I will have to get some and try these amazing cookies out!

    ReplyDelete
  34. I could imagine this would thrill anyone who can't have peanut butter. I've never tried Wowbutter - I want to check it out!

    ReplyDelete
  35. Wowbutter is such a great name. These look sooo good. I look forward to trying your recipe!

    ReplyDelete