19 March 2011

We are their mirror

I found a post on a blog I follow about parent's being a mirror for their kids and got inspired to a similar post. Thanks Becoming a strong woman of God blog.

Do you ever feel like you pray to God everyday over your kids and it seems like nothing is happening? Do you want to throw your hands up because you have told your kids a million times not to do that? Or are there times when you ask yourself, why am I praying its not working, they are not being answered anyway?
We are our children's mirror. They look to us for reassurance in their lives. We have to be the role model of Christ so when it comes time for them to chose how to deal with certain situations, especially with temptations and sin, they will look to us and see God through us. They see how we live, act and what we say. If you are living and striving to be like Christ, they will see that. If you are choosing to be negative, react in anger and be lazy, you kids will see that. It is so important to have one on one time in God's word and spending time in prayer, however I think it is also very important for your kids to see you doing that daily as well.

The road of raising kids was not meant to be easy, however, I do practice Deuteronomy 6:5-7  You shall love the LORD your God with all your heart, with all your soul, and with all your strength. And these words which I command you today shall be in your heart. 7 You shall teach them diligently to your children, and shall talk of them when you sit in your house, when you walk by the way, when you lie down, and when you rise up.

This is a reminder that I as a parent will never stop teaching my children, Gods ways. I will do my very best to show them God through my life. I want my daughter & God willing my future kids, to see Christ through me, which I pray in return will reflect on them as a mirror would, and they will follow God with all their heart.
Proverbs 22:6 says "Train up a child in the way he should go, and when he is old he will not depart from it". By following God's word as a parent we are setting up the mirror for our children to look to Christ through us. We can raise children who avoid evil and serve God faithfully by walking with Christ ourselves in front of our kids and by impressing upon them day and night Gods truth.

Even if you don't see your children walking the walk so to speak doesn't mean that God is not working in their lives, it just means God is working in His perfect timing. You will see God work!! Continually pray that your children will find their way to God, and choose to love and serve Him. Because it is a decision, excepting Jesus and serving Him isn't something we can "reflect" on them as a mirror, but do your best to be Christ like, showing that through your life and kids will see that, while praying day and night for them.

See the mirror this little girl is looking into as she tells the story of Jonah. Its amazing!

The story of Jonah from Corinth Baptist Church on Vimeo.


What kind of mirror are you when your kids look at you?

No comments:

Post a Comment