22 April 2015

Tuna Cakes | Recipe


Tuna Cakes are something my husband came up with all on his own...not that he "invented" or created them hah. He loves crab cakes and was craving them one night (4 years ago already!), but we didn't have any crab in the house nor did we feel like running out to the grocery store. While looking through our pantry he spotted cans of tuna and decided at that moment to be creative and try making tuna cakes. They were a huge success and since then, we enjoy Tuna Cakes from time to time!

Tuna cakes are so simple and quick to make. They're great for lunch or dinner with a side of steamed veggies! Also, my kids love tuna cakes! I don't know about your child(ren), but we call my daughter "tuna head" because she LOVES tuna salad, so she of course loves tuna cakes as well.


Ingredients: 
  • 2 cans of solid white albacore tuna (drained)
  • 1 Egg
  • 1/4 cup bread crumbs
  • 1/8 cup chopped onion
  • 1/8 cup chopped red bell pepper
  • 4 TLB mayonaise 
  • Salt (I don't measure, just however much you want. Same with spices)
  • Spices to season: garlic powder, black pepper and red pepper flakes if you like a little heat
  • 1-2 TLB olive oil to coat your pan

Directions:

Drain your cans of tuna, then put the tuna in a mixing bowl and fluff the tuna with a fork. Next add the rest of your ingredients and mix well. In a heated pan coated with olive oil, add a scoop of tuna cake mixture and quickly shape into patties by using a fork. Once golden brown on the bottom, flip your tuna cake and cook on other side. Cooking time varies, make sure they are fully cooked through and golden brown on both sides. Using 2 cans of tuna will give you 4 nice size tuna cakes.

Enjoy!

 photo signature_zpskeadrffa.png



19 comments:

  1. That sounds pretty good, actually. My Mom makes salmon patties, but I just don't care for them. I do love tuna, though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum! This looks really good. Tuna is pretty much the only seafood that I eat, Perfect for a summer day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm definitely making these, they remind me of salmon patties that we always ate growing up. We called them salmon patties, but made them with mackerel.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooooh I actually have a ton of tuna I need to use and we are so over our normal... which is tuna melts. I think I'll be making these sometime this week to break up the monotony! Thanks for the great recipe ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for this recipe! I wish I'd come across it yesterday, as I fixed tuna melts for dinner. Next time, it'll be Tuna Cakes...pinning it :) They look very tasty!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks very good. We eat tuna several times a month.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the delicious recipe on Tuna Cakes | Recipe! You know, my husband and I were just talking about how neither one of us has tried "hot" tuna! Like the tuna casseroles, etc. I want to try it and he's a bit on the skeptical side! There's no weird ingredients in this recipe and I really think if I make them, he may try them! The look really good! Wonder how they would be on a bun like a burger??? I have saved your recipe and am definitely going to give it a try! I have everything we need to make it, so, why not give it a shot! Who knows we just might LOVE hot tuna! Thanks so much for sharing this delicious recipe with all of us! I honestly do appreciate it very much! Thanks again! Michele :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks interesting...I have family visiting and my mom loves eating new recipes I try. Thanks for a new one!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your tuna recipe sounds great and quick. The only problem I have is that no one in our family eats any type of fish except me.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have been making tuna patty's for year I got the recipe from my mother who got it from her mother I am 60 years old

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks so very, very much for sharing your recipe on Tuna Cakes! These look absolutely delicious!! I have never had hot tuna before and I so much want to try this! I have to check to see if the "hubby" will try them if I make them! He does love tuna, but cold! He also loves crab cakes and I think he'll like this recipe as well! I want to thank you so much for sharing your delicious recipe with all of us! I definitely am going to try these! Thanks again! Michele :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. my whole family loves tuna :) so this sounds amazing, i'm gonna try to cook this one !:)

    Thank you !xoxoxo I hope this is on pinterest too!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you so much for your delicious recipe! Two thumbs up! Hannah, Makeup Artist

    ReplyDelete
  14. Mom used to make these for us when we were little. LOVED them! Nowadays, I only make them for myself since Jer can't stand the smell.

    ReplyDelete
  15. This looks like a very nice appetizer to dinner. Depending on how large an order you make it could make a nice dinner.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love tuna cakes, thank you for sharing this recipe with us.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love tuna! I am definitely going to try this recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a great idea! I make salmon cakes...but these look like a great alternative!

    ReplyDelete